Skip to main content

A Time Capsule, Amulet- Roberto Bolaño

 The Amulet was a book that surprised me. Initially, I thought we would be looking at a typical horror story with detailed violence, but this one was a different kind of horror. I believe that I can call this book a horrific one because being stuck in one place and not able to leave is claustrophobic. On top of the movement that was going on, the fact that someone could take her is terrifying. Especially if you are a young student trapped, I couldn't imagine how scared and confused I would be. She was stuck in the Philosophy and Literature section of the university, which she repeated a lot in the text. This repetition is significant because she was able to read literature and occupy her time in remembering her past and engaging in poetry. In the time she spent locked away, she was lonely, and feeling needs of deprivation and hunger started to arise in her. As human beings, we seek out interaction and personal relationships. A human cannot survive in isolation; it has significant detrimental effects on the brain. One of Auxilio's coping skills was to immerse herself in her past life and remember all her memories as if they were occurring now to occupy her brain in this time of loneliness. It was her comfort tool. I am still confused by the book's chronology as she talks about her past as if it was in the past, but over time, the chronology gets blurred as her memories become more fragmented. She talks about things occurring in the future which makes me think. How does she know this? The question I have is, what was the significance of the future? Was she talking about the future or recollecting her past from the point of view of her past self before it occurred? 

After watching the lecture, I know that the themes and feelings of the movement are memories of the survivors of this attack. Bolano creates this book as a time capsule for future generations to see and uncover how it felt to be alive in that time. The future dates appearing in the novel create this feeling of a time capsule and that things will be discovered in later years. Exactly what a time capsule is. A quote that made me genuinely think that this book represents a time capsule was: 

"And although the song that I heard was about war, about the heroic deeds of a whole generation of young Latin Americans led to sacrifice, I knew that above and beyond all, it was about courage and mirrors, desire and pleasure."

This quote mentions how the movement affected the lives of the Latin American youth and how it was brutal and a sacrifice (which is obvious). But later, people would find out the true story hidden behind the movement. It was about their courage and ability to survive in such a hard place. This story is the time capsule Bolano has created for future generations to read and learn. 

Comments

  1. Just a quick clarification on the context... it wasn't so much a war (or what we'd normally call a war). The student movement was a peaceful series of protests--marches and the like--that were violently repressed by the state, including by the army. So there was violence and death, but it was all inflicted by the one side on the other.

    It's true, however, that around this time many young Latin Americans elsewhere in the continent did take up arms (some inspired by people such as Che Guevara, who is mentioned in the book, and Fidel Castro's success in Cuba) to start guerrilla wars against the state, especially when it seemed that peaceful protest would only be repressed. Mostly, the endings of such efforts were tragic (and I think that Bolaño is thinking in part of this with his final image of the doomed youth marching down a valley towards an abyss). In Mexico, however, there were really no guerrilla movements until a few years later (which were brutally repressed) and then again in the 1990s with the Zapatistas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Place to Pass- The Old Gringo, Carlos Fuentes

The Old Gringo was a book that caught my eye at the beginning of choosing our texts because it was somewhat a romance. I did not expect this book to be all about love, but more themes of war and violence in the story. The Old Gringo was an engaging text about a man known as "Old Gringo" who came to Mexico to die. At the beginning of the novel, there was repetition with the words, the old gringo has come to Mexico to die. I believe that this repetition forces the reader to know what the gringo's intentions were at the start, to see later that at the end, he has somewhat found a purpose to live. The Old Gringo travels to Mexico, meets Arroyo, and asks him to join his army. After proving himself, Arroyo lets him join, and he meets a lady called Harriet. He quickly falls for her, despite not wanting to but lets himself anyways. Harriet feels like she must protect the old man, so she joins the army to assist onside. The Old Gringo gets into a fight with Arroyo, and Arroyo betr

My take on Proust's Swann's Way

 I enjoyed reading the first part of Proust's book. The intricate detail in every scenery and memory was breathtaking and truly brought me to experience those feelings. He described many feelings I have felt before and ones I never knew how to put into words. One that stuck with me was the feeling and the difference between sleeping in summer to sleeping in your bed in winter. The particular things we long for and how each feeling is connected to physical material. This could be as simple as the corner of the pillow or the window open. My favourite part of the text was the first couple of opening lines, where Proust describes falling asleep and being so tired that his candle was still lit. He described the feeling of your eyes closing so quickly that you don't have time to even think about it and say to yourself that you are falling asleep. I struggle with horrible insomnia, and specific material things help me sleep and comfort me. When Proust described all these feelings abou

Introduction to me!

  Hi, I’m Alyssa Almerling. I am a second-year student majoring in Sociology and minoring in Family Studies. I grew up just outside of UBC and was raised in North Vancouver. I am thrilled to be back on campus and in my childhood neighbourhood again! I have always loved reading different types of literature, and I want to be exposed to many forms of writing style. I hope that with this blog, I can share with you my thoughts and questions about the romance world and language and open your eyes to the modern and post-modern world! The format of this class has inspired me to read as many books as I can. My goal is to make connections throughout the term and find overarching themes and styles from different texts. The Romance Study world is deceiving because it isn't about romance or all the lovey-dovey things that we associate with the word romance. The romance world does not belong to anyone, which I find super fascinating. Anyone can immerse themselves in this literature, and it focu